»

A Dotted-Zero Droid Sans Mono

For the programmers out there. Now that the controversy regarding the licence of the Droid font family included in Android is over — and it’s clear that the fonts are licensed under the Apache licence — I am releasing a dotted version of the Droid Sans Mono, monospaced font that I am using for development (usually its either that or Liberation Mono nowadays). I prefer the dotted zero to a slashed zero in most monospaced fonts. More information can be found in the software page.

I used FontForge to edit the font, so — since some of the hinting instructions are not supported by this application — I’ve scraped them and used the built-in autohinter.

If you wish to use the modified font, they are — of course — also provided under the Apache licence, like the original.

As always, your comments are very welcome.

5 Responses to “A Dotted-Zero Droid Sans Mono”

  1. Zoran Rilak says:

    Excellent! I also use monospaced variant of Liberation most of the time. I’ll take your dotted Droid out for a spin.

  2. Pr0fess0rX says:

    Thank you very much i’ve been searching for a zero dashed version of it but dotted is ok.

  3. Steve says:

    Hello and thank you very much for these dotted and slashed font updates. One thing I found frustrating about these fonts is the readability of the capital M character.

    On the capital-M, the slanted lines are so faint and the vertical’s very bold. The W (capital) does not exhibit these problems.

    Is there any way you could make a version of your fonts where the capital-M is the vertical mirror of the capital-W (perhaps with the outer-edge lines straight instead of slanted) ? Or, perhaps just remove the extra weight on the outer-edge lines of the capital M ?

    Thanks again.

  4. Yann says:

    Hello,

    Is it intended that the space between lines is much narrower than with the original Droid Sans Mono? I find the original much readable when coding…

    Thank.

  5. cosmix says:

    @Yann: First off, I haven’t really used Droid for ages. Back when I did the mod I hadn’t noticed any differences in line-spacing between my modification and the original, at least on freetype (linux etc.) systems and OS X. My modification involved only adding a dot/slash to the zero glyph.

    It could be that the version of Droid that I used is much older than the one you used and that there have been changes in the metrics of the font. Or that FontForge (the software I used to add the dot and the slash) messed something up. If you are using Windows, and the other version of Droid you’re using is hinted, it could also be that there are differences between the two versions of the font due to ClearType.

Have your say.

Write in the language of the post. Comments are meant to encourage on-topic discussion. For general comments, observations, complaints (e.g. about the site), you can use the form found in the Contact page. Make sure you've read the Terms of Use before commenting.

Comments Feed for this post Comments Feed for this entry.